CAPE-OPEN UPDATE, Volume 8
CAPE-OPEN UPDATE is a publication of the CAPE-OPEN Laboratories Network (CO-LaN), a non-profit consortium for the development of the CAPE-OPEN standard.
Kerry Irons, Editor
Editorial Board: Peter Banks, Bertrand Braunschweig, Celeste Colantonio, Ronald-Alexander Klein, Werner Merk, Hans Pingen, Michel Pons
Technical Support: ADDUCE GmbH
- Editorial - CO-LaN Consultancy On Offer
- Introducting Werner Merk, CO-LaN's New President
- Hans-Horst Mayer Receives the 2003 CAPE-OPEN Award
- VMGSim by Virtual Materials Group, Inc.
- US EPA Seeks Post-Doctoral Research Candidates
- CO-LaN Members meeting in Leipzig, 12-13 February
- What's Up on the CO-LaN Web Site
CO Update Survey Results: Feedback on Your Feedback
User tips and current issues
EDITORIAL - CO-LaN Consultancy On Offer
The CAPE-OPEN Laboratories Network has undertaken a new initiative to aid the CAPE-OPEN community in its efforts to develop and implement CO compliant applications.
The CO-LaN Board of Directors proposed, and the CO-LaN members have approved a mechanism to provide support for applications development with the following objectives:
To catalyze the production of CO components by removing the difficulties of achieving CO-compatibility
To secure services of key CO experts in the vendor organizations
To provide an added incentive for companies to join CO-LaN as full members
A portion of the CO-LaN budget will be used to contract appropriate service providers to assist third party developers of CO components to ensure that CO-compliance was
achieved. Each CO-LaN industrial member is able to nominate one project per year, and the developer can have up to 2 days of assistance, paid for by the CO-LaN, for the
implementation of the CO standards. So far, four consultants have been approved:
- AspenTech, www.aspentech.com, for all aspects of the use of CAPE-OPEN Unit, Thermo and Common interfaces in COM software
components (contact: Sergi Sama, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- RSI, www.rsi-france.com for the use of CAPE-OPEN Unit and Thermo interfaces in both steady-state and dynamic CAPE-OPEN-compliant
software components, particularly for real time COM applications. (contact: Didier Paen, email@example.com
- Universita Politecnica de Catalunya, www.upc.es/eq for the use of all CAPE-OPEN major interfaces in CAPE-OPEN-compliant software components, in both CORBA and COM applications.
UPC provides access to small teams of students to assist in project development. (contact: Prof. Luis Puigjaner, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Jean-Pierre Belaud, for the use of CAPE-OPEN Unit, Solver and SMST interfaces in CAPE-OPEN-compliant software components, particularly in CORBA project
applications. Advice on all CAPE-OPEN interfaces and documentation. ENSIACET provides access to students for assisting in project development.
(contact: Jean-Pierre Belaud, JeanPierre.Belaud@ensiacet.fr)
This service is yet another example of how the CO-LaN is taking concrete steps to facilitate the development and implementation of CO
compliant components, not to mention the offer of a significant benefit for CO-LaN members. Details available through the
CO Support tag.
Kerry Irons, Editor
CO-LaN Elects New President
At the recent CO-LaN members meeting in Leipzig, Germany, Werner Merk was elected as the new President. A little background:
Werner Merk is the Global Process Technology Consultant in Dow's Global Process Engineering department. In this role, Werner is responsible to define the vision and
implementation plans for the core competencies in Global Process Engineering to provide improved technology solutions to Dow's Businesses. Werner is also accountable for
commercialization of new technology in large capital projects in his areas of expertise.
Werner has a broad background in process and engineering technologies and is responsible for developing and maintaining internal and external networks with peers and
colleagues, and has a leading role in Dow's Process Modelling efforts.
Werner holds a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from the University (TH) of Karlsruhe, Germany. After spending 4 years with Unilever, he joined Dow in 1984 in the Stade
Bisphenol/Epoxy Plant. He has gained further experience from assignments in Manufacturing and Engineering, in process technologies such as MDI, propylene oxide, and
polycarbonate, and core technologies such as Solids Processing and Process Modeling.
Remember to visit the CO-LaN web site,
then click Standard Specification, to better understand both the method and the opportunity of
implementing CO standards. If you are a CAPE software developer, you will find CO testers and the CO standards documentation. If you
are a CAPE software user, you will find guidance on the use of CAPE tools in a CO-compliant environment. There is a great deal of
information on the web site to guide you and offer insight.
Feel free to contact a CO-LaN member to help you focus your activities. These people can answer questions, discuss the philosophy of CO standards, direct you to
CO standards experts, and give you a glimpse of current and future activities.
The CO-LaN Special Interest Groups (SIGs), are up and running to refine existing standards, expand them as needed, and define new standards. The current SIGs, SIG leaders,
and current focus areas are:
- INTEROPERABILITY - Peter Banks, BP (email@example.com). Interoperability Support for testing software interoperability.
- THERMODYNAMICS - Jens Schmidt, Dow (firstname.lastname@example.org). For implementation, maintenance, and management of existing interfaces. Expansion into polymers and solids.
- UNIT OPERATIONS - Celeste Colantonio, Shell Chemical (email@example.com). For implementation, maintenance, and management of existing interfaces. Expansion into dynamics.
BACK ISSUES OF CAPE-OPEN UPDATE
You can view back issues of CAPE-OPEN UPDATE on the CO-LaN web site - please go to News, then CO Update Issues
COMING EVENTS, CO-LaN PRESS RELEASES AND OTHER CURRENT NEWS
Visit the CO-LaN website, then click News for the latest information!
CO tours are designed to show an organisation's technical professionals and technical leaders how to implement CO standards for their
CAPE. Feel free to request one for your organisation.
Wizards are now developed for Unit Operations and Thermodynamics and are available through AspenTech/Hyprotech and through the CO-LaN
The CO COSE (CAPE-OPEN Simulation Executive) tester is now ready and available on the CO-LaN web site.
CAPE-OPEN Update Subscription
If you want to «subscribe» or «unsubscribe» CAPE-OPEN Update, please send an email to
with subscribe or unsubscribe as subject, respectively. If you need to contact the CO-LaN about the distribution list (if you have
trouble unsubscribing or have questions about the list itself), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org